Thursday, July 07, 2005

All American Quilt Wash Success Story

I don't advocate washing antique quilts. When someone asks me how to wash their heirloom, I pass on some very good advice that was given to me..."Go lay down on the couch with your feet up, until the feeling passes". There are many things you can do to freshen an antique quilt, and you can read about that on my website here http://www.material-pleasures.com/quiltcare.html.

I sell a product called the All American Quilt Wash by Engleside Products. It claims to be safe on antique quilts, but when I sell it, I recommend it only for new quilts. I stress not to wet wash a quilt that was made before 1940, and then only after it's strength and color fastness can be determined, and then only washed by hand. A dear friend consigned a quilt to me last week. An adorable circa 1930s child's quilt. But, no saleable in its condition. There were dark spots, fold discolorations, and dust smudges along all the scalloped edges. With her gracious permission, I washed it, with the All American Quilt Wash. I filled my washer with cold water and added 8 scoops of the Quilt Wash, submerged the quilt, and let it soak overnight, occasionally hand agitating gently. I bypassed the machine wash and went straight to rinse and onto spin. I let the quilt dry in the sun all day on the grass and it came out fantastic! Nice and bright white, all the fold discolorations were gone, and the dark stains on the front are now hardly visible.

I still do not advocate wet washing an antique quilt, I am not going to wash every quilt in my collection because of this small success. If you need help in determining how to care for you quilt, I recommend you consult a professional. I can probably refer you to one in your area if you ask!

No comments: